Can You Use a Grill After a Grease Fire?
Everybody loves a delicious barbecue, but sometimes unforeseen circumstances occur, causing the hitch-free process to become stressful and destroying the meal. The grill can be damaged in a grease fire.
Adequate maintenance is essential; it ensures your grill works in ideal condition. Generally, grills are made from five significant materials; cast iron, Stainless steel, enamel, sheet metal, and brick. These materials are the best for grilling because they get hot quickly. These grills are prone to grease fires when not properly cleaned and maintained.
Is it still possible to use a grill after a grease fire, or should you consider replacing it? In this article, we will be digging deep into ways of handling a grill that a grease fire has damaged and effective ways of managing your grill to avoid grease fires.
Before we get into the details of a grease fire, let’s see the different types of grills.
Types of Grills
These are the most common type of outdoor barbecue grill, and most people prefer them because they are easier to use. You can ignite gas grills with the push of a button. They heat up very fast and cook quickly. They also have control knobs that help to regulate the heat. They are usually not as hot as charcoal, with temperatures ranging from 400 degrees Fahrenheit to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Gas grills are the easiest to clean.
These grills deliver heat above 700 degrees Fahrenheit, and they are the least expensive option. Charcoal grills require charcoal as a source of carbon and fuel. In this type of grill, there are no knobs, so the temperature cannot be regulated. In addition, it takes a longer time to heat up and cool down.
They use wooden pellet grains as a source of fuel. It also combines the features of charcoal and gas grills. They are electronically powered, possess control knobs, and give food that hardwood-smoked flavor, a unique feature of charcoal grills.
When it comes to convenience and ease, electric grills are unbeatable. They don’t need any fuel, heat up quickly, and are extremely easy to use.
What is a Grease Fire?
A grease fire is a kind of fire that occurs instantly. It is harsh and vigorous. For it to be ignited, it requires three basic things; oxygen, heat, and fuel.
It is caused by the accumulation of oil and fat on the firebox area around the burners or other parts of the grill. Over time, these substances accumulate and coat the grill with a flammable layer of oil or grease.
Grease fires occur mainly in scalding oil, which serves as fuel. The heated oil starts boiling when the heat intensifies and eventually catches fire. It is usually like an instant blast; the grease flames must be extinguished immediately before they spread and cause a fire outbreak.
Can a Grease Fire Damage A Grill?
A grease fire will explode violently, it will not only damage your grill. It can also destroy your home and leave you with severe burns if you are not careful. Grease fires are not common occurrences. They are unforeseen circumstances and can happen to anyone. You must be careful and remember that you are grilling with fire. Never handle your grill carelessly.
How Do You Clean a Grill After a Grease Fire?
If your grill gets marred in a grease fire, it is expedient to clean it properly before subsequent use. First, turn off the grill and remove all the charred food on the grill grates.
Afterwards, use a grill scraper or other appropriate tool to scrape off accumulated dirt and grease. Ensure you scrape your grill while it’s still warm; this inhibits unwanted inflammation of bacteria that can cause harm to your food.
When the grill grates are clean, brush them with soapy water and a solid brush to remove any leftover dirt.
Lastly, rinse the grates with clean water and pat dry with a clean towel. Make sure they are entirely free from all moisture before using the grill again.
How Do You Keep a Grease Fire Out Of A Grill?
The most effective way of keeping a grease fire out of a grill is to keep it clean. Ensure the grill is properly cleaned after every use. Do not forget to scrape and burn off all residual grease. You must also avoid putting clothes soiled with grease close to the grill; they are flammable and can catch fire. Taking these precautionary measures can prevent a grease fire from occurring.
How To Put Out a Grease Fire
If a grease fire mistakenly happens:
Firstly, restrict oxygen flow by covering the flames with a metal lid.
In addition, turn off the source of heat.
Furthermore, pour baking soda, flour, or regular cooking salt to put out the fire if the fire is small and can still be contained.
Put out the fire with a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher as a final solution. The average dry multipurpose extinguisher is not advisable because it is toxic and can cause serious health problems if ingested.
You must never try to put out a grease fire with water.
Once the fire is out, you must clean your grill before your next use. This is because all these tools used in putting off the grease fire can affect the taste of the food.
Things to Avoid When Putting Out A Grease Fire
- Avoid water. It is not effective in firefighting because oil and water are immiscible. Oil floats on water and oil on fire also floats on water.
- A wet towel
Can a Grill Be Used Once a Fire Extinguisher Has been Sprayed On It?
The exciting news is that your grill can still be used. This depends on the type of fire extinguisher you use. Different types include; multipurpose dry chemical, carbon dioxide, foam, and purple k dry chemical. Of all these types, the multipurpose dry chemical is the only toxic because it is corrosive and can pose serious health threats if swallowed.
Yes, you can still use a grill after a grease fire. But you must be extremely careful and take preventive measures. Ensure you clean off any residual oil and burn off grease. You must also avoid clothes that have been soiled with grease. It is important to note that grease fires can be prevented by keeping grills clean.